Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Training and 24

A couple of weeks ago Shane from

Bikes at the Basin

and I had a lengthy chat about our cycling, training, racing and ways ahead. We are both passionate about cycling and a healthy lifestyle, balancing work, family and training. There have been times when training took much of my time and our chat was a great reminder to get the balance right and still perform when racing. Quality training has been the focus of the last few weeks with the aim to cut out the wasted or wasteful miles. Using Mark Fenners FTP ideas has given me better clarity, the shorter structured tough workouts have been a nice change. Last week it was a 220km, not a big week but there were quite a few quality hours. On Saturdays I ride with the local Tri club and over the last couple of weeks I have been giving them heaps during the rides. Heaps includes high-speed warm-ups and fast TT sections, I even broke away from the guys on TT bikes during a hill ride and pushed out in front gaining close to five minutes on the next rider.

In the near future I will be riding from Sydney to Canberra, having a days rest then returning. I expect this possible 300km, one way, to be a tough day in the saddle. A set of tri-bars have been fitted to my training/commuter MTB as I will be riding with roadies and my have to spend some time on the front. It may help with the possible headwinds too.

Congratulations must go out to those who participated in the recent 24hr events. Those who punched out laps for their teams at Sparrow and those that did it all by themselves over the Easter weekend. Mr English once again proved that at the moment he is unstoppable. But there are plenty of our other 24hr riders just behind Mr English, great solid efforts by Andy Fellows and Shane Taylor.

Keep an eye out over the next month or so for the new jersey. Proudly supported by

Carman's Fine Food and Wealth Creation Accountants

.

No comments:

Post a Comment