Wednesday, August 31, 2011

NSW XC Champs

While not strictly a XC rider, XC events have been very much part of my riding. From the early days of Sport cat socalisation at SCUM events, through to building for Worlds last year, attempting A grade with WSMTB and SCUM. And when I heard there would be a 2011 NSW XC Championships, hosted by SCUM and all pulled together by a south coast crew, I knew it wouldn't be "just another" XC round. The only problem, I would be racing for the fourth weekend in a row.

We, the Expert men, were launched briefly after the Elite men scratching for the front positions up the fire-trail, almost making the gap to the Elite men before the single-track. From here we were on the Superbowl's turms, narrow on-camber traverses, log roll-overs and a few rocks to keep you focused on the task at hand. The pace was fast, a small mistake could mean loosing multiple positions. Winding down the hill and crossing the gully a multiple of times, you could test your skills with log doubles and narrow bridges.

I lost a couple of places on the first lap after a technical mistake and fought to hold onto my slipped position. Gasping for breath and with my heart trying to burst through my chest I zipped along the single-track. Then the track turned back up the hill, on the fire-trail, I cursed but held it in the big ring. Then it was back down the other side of the hill all on single-track and back to transition, onto the next lap. Gee, how many of these do I have to do at this pace?
It turned out I had to do three more and they were just as painful as the first.

Thanks to the organisers for their commitment, I had a lot of painful fun, as I'm sure many others did.

No comments:

Post a Comment