Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Port 24


The newest 24hr on the coast, using the home trails of Jason English, 24hr World Champ. 

 Bikes racked ready to ride.


 The startline, 3 minutes to go!

This event has evolved from the highly successful Port 12hr, which attracted quality riders from as far away as Sydney and Brisbane. Choose between 24hr solo or teams, 12hr solo, 6+6hr solo or teams and finally 6hr solo or pairs or Jr team.

So here was an opportunity to ride in an area which isn’t hot, isn’t cold, isn’t rocky and isn’t dusty. In the immortal words of the Refusenix team “it’s Baby Bear’s 24, juuust right”. And what a trail they have at Tele Point. If I haven’t harped on about it enough already in previous blogs, there is a little up, loads of down, some fast flats with plenty of flow thrown in. The trail always has just a little tackiness, with a few duck-board features to keep us out of the wetter section. There was also a new section of trail recently opened after some extensive trail work, to grit our teeth on. I never get bored returning up to Tele Point to ride these super fun trails.

The Port kids gave me a run for my money off the startline.

So the only problem was it bucketed down with rain before the initial weekend and now the Port 24 was pushed onto the mothers day weekend, competing with a local adventure race, the ICME stage race and the Willo enduro. This seems to have been the story of enduro mountainbiking for the last five months, rescheduled events.

When we arrived the event hub was already filling with tents, shelters, camper-trailers and caravans. There was no line-up at rego and the line at the coffee van was just a few chatty locals, get your coffee hit. The HVMTBR crew were already manning their little shopfront, get your sugar hit. Real toilets, showers and changing facility, all part of the basics HVMTBR offer out of their clubhouse.

Everyone was having fun!

With three minutes to the gun the start line felt a little empty as I shared it with a few other riders but as the time was counted down other competitors emerged from the shade, or their warm-up to join us. Five, four, three and I was swapped by elbow high kids who accelerated away all keen to get onto the singletrack first and amongst the trees.

With so many racing options at this event, I just made it simple, I competed in the GSC 6hr last year, this year I would return to do the same. Six hours is any enduro riders idea of a good time on a bike. 

6107 - Leads the Solo 6hr 

Out on course the trail was in perfect condition and the first few laps were at a quick pace. It wasn’t long before my support crew had identified the leading 6hr rider, I was able to focus on my effort to remain in contact and relax a little. From here it seemed the cards were already being dealt my favor. 

With still a few hours left of the 6hr there were a few riders starting to suffer. There were team and solos riders cramping or in mild discomfort as the hours on the bike took their toll. The leading 6hr rider and I had swapped off the front on occasions and this time when I caught him, he complained of cramps and I left him behind mid climb. It was another lap or so before I saw him again and just in passing, somewhere back 10mins or so on the lap.

The quiet trails of Tele Point.

It was also around this time I was finally able to utilize my Ay-Ups and blaze these fun trails for the remainder of my 6hr event. Pass the timing tent for the final time I found I a handy lead on the remaining solo 6hr riders, improving on my placing from last year with a win in the category.

Another great event with the Port 24. The mid north coast is defiantly an area I’m keen to explore more. Keep an eye on Enduro Pulse for more Refusenix enduro events.

No comments:

Post a Comment