Friday, September 14, 2012

WSMTB XC

 Riding out to the latest round of the WSMTB XC Series, just a short 20km warm-up, I'm passed by a series of 4x4s and cars loaded with mountainbikes. I adjust my musette, stuffed with goodies to get me through the next 4hrs of riding, the cool morning air is fresh, this has got to be the best way to kick off a day. Two inch wide rubber hums along on the bitumen nicely and it is the quiet moments between passing vehicles where it is almost peaceful. A puppy stretches, a tiding of magpie fight over the first burst of bugs and catch a flicker of fluorescent off the dew.

Rego is effortless with a flash of my MTBA card, the transaction of a small race fee and a friendly smile when picking up a race number. It seems like quite a while since I have raced at Yellomundee and I was keen to check out the major works that has been carried out since May. The trails had degraded to such a point during the first half of a year that many sections had to be fenced off and since May members of WSMTB and NPWS have gradually carrying out major repairs to many of the sections. A quick lap of the south trails used for the days XC race and I came across some of the major works and plenty of repaired sections.


The race plan was to cruise through the five laps with my main aim to focus on brushing up on my mountainbike specific skills and techniques. I don't have a road bike, but it seems like I spend a bucket load of time smashing along the black stuff and not enough time on dirt. The A Grade guys leapt away, all pushing to be the first down the singletrack. It was the gradual climb back towards the main gate that did the major damage, splitting the group. From that point on the lead group gradually pulled away and I would only see glimpses across the moto-track or through the carpark. The first lap I just wanted to settle in and keep any B Graders at bay, and over the next few laps I was surprised to catch and eventually pass a couple of the rides unable to maintain the frantic pace of the front group. Then over the final laps limit my losses to B Graders and have some fun. 



The WSMTB XC race was a great way to spend the morning, the dry conditions mean the trail is very fast, hardpacked in many places but loose and sandy in others. In the near future WSMTB hope to spend more time repairing the trails at Yellomundee partnering with NPWS under a "Sustainable MTBing Trail" strategy. Look forward to hearing more about that.

On the racing front WSMTB will be hosting the NSWMTB XC Series at Yellomundee in October closely followed by their own XC Club Champs. Expect the highly anticipated WSMTB 4hr Summer Series to kick off in November!

No comments:

Post a Comment