Wednesday, December 16, 2009

SCUM Annual 30/60km Enduro

This was the third time I have competed in the various versions of SCUM's end of year 30/60km fun ride. This year the track designer was offering a massive 30km loop consisting of sections from popular the Butterfly and Superbowl single tracks. The 30km loop was to also include open fire trail sections, power-line climbs and old moto single tracks. There was promise of a free BBQ too.
It was a mixed race but the highlights for me included a great start on the one km or so of fire-trail heading into the first section of single track around the top five. The lead riders make the mistake of taking the beginners track giving me the lead through to the next section of fire-trail.
I finally figured the small block eights have had their day as over the first half of the lap I struggled to keep the rear end firmly planted though corners. In the dry dusty conditions the semi slick nature of the rear tyre just didn't suit. Time to try a different tread.
Over the first half of the lap I lost a heap of time to Dave from the Bike Shack and Kurt "I am Merida" but with some incident free and a little effort I made up the time. Riding with them for a few kilometers I felt good and took lead of the group. It was then (20-25km mark) when I made the error of the ride, I attempted to bunny-hop over a puddle with the landing to be on the dried mud section on the other side. This dried mud section turned out to be soft and deep. I touched down with the front wheel, burying it. All I remember is a rag-doll style deceleration into my handlebars and finding myself twisted around the bike in the dirt a couple of meters from the puddle. Ouch, it hurt, but nothing looked major, just blood from the right knee, left knee and elbow. I made my way back on the bike, slowly, in pursuit of Dave and Kurt. At the transition between the laps I caught them. We were caught by a following rider at this time as well, a friendly enduro rider from Canberra. They all stopped to refuel and grab a fresh bottle, I made clean bottle swaps and headed out for the second 30.
My second lap was some what a better one than the first, gaining here and there, then loosing a bit on the climbs. Dave turned the power on and was out of sight in minutes. Kurt was holding on strong but by the 45km mark had slipped back. We passed the lead single speed rider, he wanted to know which way was the fastest back to transition. We were near the back of the Nowra suburbs at this stage. Also out this way were the stragglers from the 30km, having fun in the sand and battling cramps. Heading back along the fire-trails our Canberra friend took a bad line around one of the designer water features incorporated into the loop. This gave me a gap in which to work on and I went for it, attempting to put as much time between us. Holding the gap to the finish, it was almost 3:15hrs for the 60km (closer to 70km said some). Placing third in Open Mens and fourth overall. Stiff and sore I feasted on the free watermelon and BBQ. It was again terrific work by the SCUM team to but on such a great event, online rego via MTBA, two computers on the day for rego, port-a-loo, BBQ and great atmosphere. Could these type of rides become more regular on the SCUM calendar in the future?
Thanks to FRS - Natural Energy, Bikes at the Basin and DIY MTB for their ongoing support. Have a festive period!

No comments:

Post a Comment