Monday, December 7, 2009

WSMTB Summer 4hr Series Round 1

Round 1 was a twilight race from 6pm held at Yarramundi. The word on the web was a change to the track with possibly sections in reverse. There was online rego through the new MTBA system, around 70 riders chose this option and on-the-day rego for those who didn't go the online option.
Yarramundi conditions, I rode some of the track on Friday, the track was dry and loose. There had been further work done to sections, while others had further exposed rocks through use of the track. While on the lap we did our own bit of work, removing black wattles. These trees had decided to break, crossing the track.
Things were ok off the start, the usual eight across with a ten meter sprint into single track, me in the second row. We congo'd our way around the first section of the track down the single track, to the rock roll-over then over the log. This is where the track changed with a cut-in to the right on to the bitumen section the lead back up to the transition area, before the car park we headed left skirting the cars then right onto single track again. Instead of crossing the fire-trail we headed left on it then right up to the power lines. Yes the track was a little switched around but generally similar to how I have ridden it before.
It was in the single track before Ben’s Bridge that Yarramundi had its way with my bike again. I collected another stick in the rear derailleur. It did bad things like bending the hanger, forcing the chain between the cassette and spokes, and breaking a spoke. This is where it jammed, behind a lug that is suppose to stop it. Pulling on either side of the chain wouldn’t remove it from this first lap nightmare. After many frustrating attempts to remove the chain I remembered the old trick of using a quick release handle as a lever. By this stage all the field had passed me and I wedged the handle between the cassette and hub, pulling the chain from the cassettes strangle hold. Manually straightening the bent hanger by eye, I twisted the broken spoke around another keeping it out of the way. Back on the bike I fine tuned the rear derailleur on the go using the barrel nut on the trigger.
I was at the back of the whole field and gave at least half a lap to the front runners. It was now a sprint to make up as much time during the daylight hours before I was forced into enduro night mode. After a fast first two laps I could taste salt but not the usual sweat taste, blood. I must have bitten my lip during one of the downhill sections. It seemed like all I was doing was overtaking people and it wasn’t till around the two hour mark the front runners had made up the half a lap and the first of the fast teams went past, followed closely by the solo front runner.
There was becoming more of a gap between myself and riders around my speed. Lights were on now and it was time to maintain the effort I had put in earlier in the afternoon. Just hope I had put enough in to make the time I needed. The trouble didn’t stop though, I had digestion issues with the power bar I needed to consume in the third hour, I only got two bites into the bar. It was very uncomfortable.
Finally the fourth hour passed and I finished. I was exhausted and had the need for the use of a port-a-loo. It could have been the number I picked up at rego “13”, also the position I managed to place in the category “13”. That was Round 1 of the 4hr series.
Thanks to FRS, Bikes at the Basin and DIY MTB for their ongoing support. Have a festive period!

1 comment: