Monday, January 21, 2013

WSMTB 4hr Summer Series

Nice bike.
The 4hr Summer Series draws competitors, families and beginners alike for the fun and festivities held at WSMTB's home trail of Yellomundee.

A well mixed selection of trails had been selected to provide firetrails for many of the climbs, fun descents and a range of technical challenges.

While the weather was being its unpredictable self and grey morning skies greeted riders, Yarramundi stayed dry and much cooler than previous days.

With over 120 competitors present most categories were competitive, (the Solo Male category had close to 50 entries,) many people had travelled from as far as the Central Coast and the Southern Highlands for this round of the annual series.

Out on the trail there was a relax vibe with everyone enjoying the conditions, WSMTB have been busy continually improving the Yellomundee trails after the serious wet and thrashing it received in early 2012.
Steve competed in the 2012 Croc Trophy and blitzed the solo field.
Seems epic riding in 2012 has setup many riders for a quality 2013, with two of the top four Solo Male riders having competed in the 2012 Croc Trophy.

The Pairs Male category provided very close racing, these guys had extra speed and were visiting the First Aid providers more often.

I had a good ride, starting comfortably in the middle of the pack. Over the next three and a half hours I worked my way through the field, consistent lap times were my goal, not where I placed.

I was having fun, a bucket load of fun, many of the riders I passed rode until they cracked or figured they were riding outside their comfort zone.

Looking down at my Bryton I could see my fun was at a cost, I was working pretty hard too (Avg >155 for the 4hrs).

Turns out all my fun placed me on the podium, first race of the year.



Photos from Weatherboard Photography
All podium places took home a goody bag from the Round Sponsors Bike Minded and many people made good use of the local Yarramundi RFS manned BBQ.

Round 3, a twilight event, will be held at the Mt Annan Botanic Gardens, 16 February.


Data on Strava

Items on test: 
  • Custom Hand Built Carbon Rim Wheel
  • X-Fusion Slide 29er Fork
  • Conti Race King Tyres
  • Truvativ Noir T30 Carbon Flatbar
  • Enduro Ceramic Derailier Jockey Wheels

No comments:

Post a Comment