Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Rocky Trail Shimano Mountain Bike Grand Prix - Stromlo


Words by: Belinda Althaus

Mt Stromlo trails, need I say more?  A satisfying 4hrs or racing with a combination of trails which would put a smile on any eager endurance rider.
The RT crew picked a course which had a superb balance of leg pumping climbing, followed by equally fun berms and flowing singletrack and let's not forget "skyline"!
270 odd riders, ascended on the day and the competition was fierce being the last round of the Shimano GP series.  Rival competitor Wendy Stevenson was quick to gain front position and managed to hold this lead ahead of Erin Zimmer and the rest of the 4hr elite women competitors.  I managed to hold 4th position behind these two and local Kim Smith for most of the race. 
My lap times were consistent, and my legs were feeling good. Coming round for my final lap and I had Kim in my sights and I was spurred on to draw her back. 
A steady climb ahead proved a valuable opportunity and with that I made the pass and opened up a 3 min gap. 

Podium time.
I came in behind Wendy and Erin to gain 3rd on the podium and another successful day on the mountain bike.  A great event, and its nice to meetso many encouraging people of all abilities. 
What more could you want when your grinding it out for 4 hrs....  


General Graph of the GP4 Elite Woman lap times.

No comments:

Post a Comment