Saturday, August 29, 2009

Epic 09

The weather was warm in QLD and I was concerned with the late start of the race. Heat stress would be the equalizer. We arrive early and warmed up, it was a busy hub at the winery south of Toowoomba. I wandered over saying g'day to Mr Jongewaard and Mr Anderson getting set up, they had traveled from SA for the weekends festivities. Also chatted with Matt from Ay-Up who was here to support his riders, like Mr Fellows.
Off the start line it is more a casual pace than I have seen at many marathons. Darren Smith, Shane Taylor along with a bunch of other riders are lead out by big Mr J. It is a bitumen climb followed by some undulating hills. Through the hills Darren is in the lead group and finds the pace just a little hot falling back to the second group with me. We ride together into the cool of Ma Ma Creek, following cow trail when not being miss led about the creek bed cross-overs. Then get caught out by the fence. Where were the signs?
When we are out of the creek it is really warm, there is a big climb, Darren begins to leave me behind as I begin to ride my own race. This big hill is followed by more rough track and some open climbs in the sun. The down hills sweep steeply back down into the valleys, I point and shoot letting the Velvets do their job and my weight back over the rear wheel. I do remember getting some serious speed, many of the guys record excess of 80kph on these dirt roads and tracks. I ride with one of the owners of "For the Riders", thanks for the pace.
Reaching the half way point, I have smashed heaps of fluids, I search for my fresh bottle dropped of by the 50km riders. Finding our box of bottles, I head out for the next leg and the rider in front makes a wrong turn. It is the leading female rider, we jump a fence and cross a paddock, then another fence to make our way back to the course. She then powers away, the hills seem to be getting harder for me. My heart rate is peaking on these climbs and I occasionally have to pause in some shade to recover. My calves have been cramping and I am struggling to keep my heels down enough to stretch, just ride your own race. There are occasional creek crossing with no more then a trickle to splash through and 50km riders are stopped at every shady spot.
Heading into the final check point I cross to the water station, a volunteer refills my bottle, I pick up some fruit and complained about my cramps. The volunteer also gives me something for the cramps, which offers only partial relief down the road. There is more road sections and rough fire trail, it is undulating and I count every climb. My camelbak is out of water and I am down to just the bottle, a rider passes me who I have ridden with before in a marathon. I pick up and pass the sunshine coast based rider on the next decent. There are 50km riders still spread out along the track, some riding, others recovering in the shade. Ms Hansen catches up again and we power along the remaining road sections to the Resort’s final section, just 5km or so to go. And out of water.
It turns to single track, which is a nightmare at this late stage. I loose a small amount of time to the set pace with traffic. Linking multiple corners to flow whist passing tired riders, who now pick their way through the track, congregating at the small technical rocky sections. Frustration as you can hear the loudspeaker but the track twists and turns, up and down the hills. But finally see the finish, passing under the banner in 5 hours and 45 minutes.
Exhausted, parched and cramping I find shade beside the team bus. I down a protein mix for recovery after some simple apple juice. There are showers, fresh clothes to put on and more water to drink.
In the wash-up of it all I placed 10th in my category, only two minutes behind Shane Taylor. Darren Smith shows his great form arriving 30 minutes before us. Temperature for the day was around 33 degrees C. It was a good fun race with very tough conditions. Maybe next year ...

No comments:

Post a Comment