Saturday, August 15, 2009

MTB Grand Prix






Both on the same day, same location, it was bound to be interesting. Not only that there was MTB racing up and down the coast on the same weekend. So, it was off to Yarramundi again, a few of the boys wanted to do the 12hr solo and needed a bit of support. It was an early start to get a good tent location near the transition. It was to be a tent of Mick's, one out for his first solo 12hr, another pushing for a good 12hr result in elite solo. The usual suspect Mick was giving the Grand Prix a crack, then there was a honorary Mick who kept an eye on the 12hr elite solo listing, happy that Mr English wasn’t going to turn up.
The 12hr riders were of a little late with a cool morning just burning off. It was a fire trail climb before riders headed into the single track. Starts can be fickle and the 12hr Mick’s all had different stories, good, bad and indifferent. I wanted to give first solo Mick the best chance to complete his 12hrs of riding, he had arranged a nutrition and fluid plan and I ensured he had what was necessary, set out neatly. Good result Mick had his own crew and was set with two bikes for fast laps. Honorary Mick had an experienced crew and shop support for his bikes, he was in the front runners from the start.
It was only a couple of hours after the 12hr start the Grand Prix qualifying period started with a hot lap of the WSMTB kids track. It was just a bit over a minute around the short track, a sandy corner patch, medium to slow switchbacks, a short rocky section into a gradual climb and finishing straight. I lowered my tyres pressures just a bit as there wasn’t any technical sections, for more positive traction. There were a few fast lads with some serious equipment, I was unsure at how well I qualified. Fifty or so minutes later
we lined up for the start and the qualifying results. I managed a hot lap and was awarded pole position!
The race was good with a modified track, around seven kilometers in length and it didn’t include any tower of power climbs. It was the usual fast at the front with the quick riders from the qualifying lap in each category setting off in waves. One of the junior pairs elbowed me into the fencing at the start, then it was flat stick to the bottom of the hill through a bit of single track. There was a water crossing then a climb up to the moto track, the climb sorted out the weaker front runners. The other highlight was the lap one off I had. I failed to negotiate a rock and pothole, pitching me out of the saddle and over the bars. Days later I am reminded of this first lap with a nice bruise from the top of the steerer tube on my thigh. My remaining laps I didn't make the same mistake.
It was about an hour into the race and I had a rider tailing me, I gave it a bit but he held on. A couple of laps later I let the rider pass and held his wheel for a bit. But reminded myself to ride my own race and listen to my body. Easing off the pace a little there became a small time gap between myself and the other rider. Things were looking good on the Zaskar early in the race, the bike was working well, the Velvet R forks got a workout and felt better on the bike with the increased fork pressure. I was have plenty of trail eating fun.
Things went well through the middle of the race, there were plenty of spots to pass riders and everyone was courteous. The track was well worn in, 12hr solo riders were in the zone and the teams continued to hammer out quick laps.
The fun didn't last forever, late in the race, nearing the fourth hour the newly acquired skills started falling apart and the hard-tail was showing how stiff and unforgiving it could be. The last lap was a bit of a struggle, I so wanted to sit down and just spin through the lap. Gritting my teeth I forced my way through the lap, the mind was willing and the body was slow.
Ends up I placed first in the solo men category, with second place approximately six minutes behind me. Friends in the FRS/Rotor Ring team of four also got on the podium as did honorary Mick. Honorary Mick is also out to win an entry to the Crocodile Trophy, one of Australia’s hardest multi-day races. Check it out here.
Thanks to Tony from Energy Supplements Australia for his support with the natural energy of FRS.
Also to Shane from Bikes at the Basin in Sanctuary Point. His passion for bikes and support goes along way with fast bikes like the Zaskar and Canaan.
Duncan from DIY MTB I should thank too for his support, it is a trail eating and top-notch fork from X-Fusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment