Monday, March 17, 2014

WSMTB XC Rd 1

Words by: Bel Althaus

WSMTB started the 2014 cross country race year off with Round 1 of their XC series held at Yellomundee on the 16th March.  A sudden and decent downpour on the Saturday afternoon before the race did little to dampen the spirits, but it was enough to smooth out the dust for the fast paced race around the 7km track. 


All smiles before race start. Photo: CrummyMTB

The track layout was slightly different to that of the Weld-tite 4hr Summer Series, with the inclusion of a short rocky climb before descending onto the goat track.  This removed the long fire road climb, meaning it was straight from the goat track and Max’s Bridge onto the moto-trail bends. Three women contended the 4 lap A Grade women's race, Larri Wallbridge, Sarah Mills and I.
We started off directly after the B grade men and it was tight racing for the first lap.  Larri held the lead, with Sarah following and me on the back.  Considering this was my first ever XC race, not to mention A Grade, nor ever having raced against these women, I sat on the tail. I watched their strengths, their weaknesses and surveyed my opportunities. Towards the end of the first lap, I scored the opportunity to pass Sarah and move into second place. It was still tight racing with Larri and I slowly opened the gap to around a minute from Sarah.


First lap. Photo: CrummyMTB
Coming into the second lap I again followed closely refraining from making a wrong move or going too early. As we approached the main fire road climb, I knew this was my chance to make a move and ascended into first place.  With descending not being my strong point I put the pedal down to try and open up a lead before coming back into the technical section. The move worked in my favour and the now the race was really on!  That was until... I came into the sweeping moto-trail, failed miserably in trying to put my water bottle back into its cage, become unstuck and side planted into the ground. Thank god there was lots of grass and no trees! Ever watchful of my two competitors I kept an eye out to ensure I was maintaining the lead I had built. I charged on keeping a consistent pace and using my advantages where I could.

Open trails and leading. Photo: CrummyMTB

By the end of the third lap I was confident that I had this one in the bag, after my previous misadventure I tried to keep calm and focus, riding as smooth as possible to the end. I came across the line in first place, with Larri two minutes behind and Sarah finishing a few minutes after her. It was a great fast paced race with some positive and friendly competitors, and an inspiring youngster who will go far. Thanks Larri and Sarah for a good spirited race. 
Lastly to keep in tradition with mountain biking we didn't get away without the rain coming down, by luck it was timed to perfection, the end of presentations.  With that I was up and out for another day!  Round 2 of the XC Series will be held on the 13th April, and although I won't be available for that one, its set to be another morning of glorious racing.  Good luck to the girls in the next race!

No comments:

Post a Comment